Our first squares!!

Our first squares!!

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

First Class

First class went well. I know there were some frustration with the different stitches, bobble, etc. My advice is to keep practicing your new stitches on your sample swatch until you feel fairly comfortable then start on your square. Please post questions, comments, etc. if you have any. I feel everyone there last night can do this, just keep practicing. It was so much fun to see all the different colors we are all working with. Remember to always keep track of where you are on the pattern, which row you are doing, use your stitch markers, and always refer to the stitch directions on the direction page called "In Other Words". Some of the cable stitches are held to the front and some to the back. It makes a difference. One thing I wanted to talk a little about last night was blocking but we ran out of time. If you have blocked before, you can block your square to 12 inches before you come next month. Otherwise, just bring your finished square and we can talk about how to block at that time. Another thing that I did not mention last night but it is on your hand out sheet was how many times you repeat the charts. In the book, it says work Chart A twice then work rows 1-15 once more. It does not tell you to work Chart B twice then work rows 1-19 once more. Looking forward to hearing about questions, successes, problems, etc. Thanks, Donna, for showing us how to use the chart for each pattern. I am going to learn to do that on the next square.

2 comments:

Donna said...

I really enjoyed the class, Beth! It was fun to spend time with everyone. And I agree 100% that if you are struggling, ask for help and just keep practicing. Everyone sign up as a follower on here so we can share and keep in touch between classes. Happy Knitting! ;)

Brandy said...

How is everyone doing? I have about 2 inches done, but admit I havn't been working on it much. I am glad that we have Beth because I can see that this square is going to be 12X12 and my other two weren't. I think I have decided I am going to remake the two square that I already have done. Beth said that the two squares that I have completed are the two that work up the smallest and she had to go up a needle. I am so thankful for those tips.